When it comes to cooking food, being healthy is becoming increasingly important.
With a lot of foods that you grill or bake, you’ll want to preserve as many nutrients as possible. One of the best ways to maintain all the natural goodness of a meal is by using a broiling pan.
Broiler pans are metal dishes with a rim that reflects the heat emitted from the top of the oven to ensure that the food is cooked evenly right to the core. It also cooks your food in its own natural aromas and juices, preserving the maximum amount of minerals and vitamins possible.
A broiling pan is something for people who want that extra level of love and care when it comes to baking meats, vegetables and breads. You’ll also be able to make your cooking time a lot more efficient, using as little additional oil as possible, which will help you to keep your calorie intake very low.
Broiler pans can be used by both experts and beginners. They are heavy duty and durable, perfect for adding to your camping trip or cooking a larger meal for a special occasion.
These dishes have a very capacious cooking area, so you can really load them up with as many meats and vegetables as you can imagine.
But where can you find the best broiler pans? What features and materials should a great broiler pan be made out of to give you a premium cooked meal for you and your friends? How much will a decent broiling pan be looking to set you back in terms of price?
Well, for a newbie or skilled chef, you won’t have to worry about any more dried out meats and sour vegetables, because we’ve got a list of some of the best broiling pans currently available on the market.
We’ve also got a buyer’s guide to help you discern between the best broiling pans from the worst broiling pans, along with some frequently asked questions.
OUR TOP PICK
Our first broiling pan is very versatile, constructed for baking, broiling and grilling.
You can barbeque and broil meat on the grill, while the catching mat underneath will catch all the excess juice that runs out of it.
Whether it’s pasta or toasted chicken, you can cook the meat right the way through to the core, preserving all its natural nutrients - introducing the Granite Ware Bake, Broil and Grill Pan.
The materials that this broiling pan is made out of are incredibly durable, with stainless carbon steel, making a pan that will be able to withstand very intensive heat over long periods, as well as taking all the stresses of other impacts.
The stainless steel also makes sure that this unit is easy to clean, being hand wash and dishwasher friendly.
The steel also has a porcelain reinforced element, which gives it an incredible nonstick element.
So if you are blasting your meat with heat over time, you won’t have to worry about it sticking to the metal surface of your pan and spoiling its functionality.
- The pan is dishwasher safe and limits the amount of cleaning up that you have to do afterward - perfect for the busy housewife.
- There are no harmful chemicals used in the making of this broiling pan, so you won’t have to worry about them infecting your favorite broiled dish with chemicals.
- There is both a grill and a catching pan, which means you’ll be able to be as free with the movement of your veggies as possible, reducing the amount of mess in your pan and in your oven.
- The pan itself is made from carbon steel, one of the most durable materials you can find, which will also lead to the longevity of the product.
- Some users have complained that this broiling pan does not hold up well to repeated falls.
Our next broiler pan is one that is commonly used in toasting ovens, with its diminutive size, it’s the perfect product to take on camping holidays or boondocking in your RV.
However, this doesn’t mean that it skimps on quality, with a lightweight construction it is also nonstick, ensuring you premium durability - introducing Nordic Ware Toaster Oven 2-Piece Broiler.
When you’re out traveling in the great outdoors, what better way to spend an evening than with you and your friends or family broiling shrimp, fries, fish or pizza beside a lovely lakeside view?
3The generous cooking surface is perfect for these sorts of occasions, you can get your meats and veggies all cooking on one single surface.
When it comes to hygiene, as well as cleaning and maintaining the integrity of your pan, one of the things you’ll be wanting is a non-stick surface to allow for thorough cooking and to reduce food matter sticking to it.
Certain delicate meats like shrimp and fish are especially susceptible to sticking when grilled over a long period.
- The smaller style of this broiling pan makes the perfect travel companion, the lightweight construction of the tin will not add significantly to the overall weight of your gear.
- This is an ideal broiler for cooking meats such as fish and shrimp, along with a whole host of savory snacks that will really lighten up your barbeque.
- The nonstick properties of this broiling pan make it a great unit for hygiene and cleaning up afterward.
- This is one of the best-rated broiling pans for outdoor cooking - the durability of the steel construction will be able to withstand even the heaviest impacts.
- This product is not dishwasher-friendly and some users who want to engage in more challenging cooking might not be happy with the cooking surface.
Our next broiling pan is one that comes with a pan and rack to give you a very clean and hygienic cooking experience.
This broiling pan is very unique in that it is made from heavy-duty porcelain materials and coated black steel that have impressive nonstick qualities as well as durability and longevity - introducing Range Kleen Porcelain Broil and Bake Pan.
This pan is great for cooking fish dishes, with a catching tray underneath that will be great for grilling both meat and vegetables right the way through to the core.
The black steel coated porcelain construction makes for premium heat transfer, making sure that your meats are cooked right the way through.
This product is also great for cleaning, as the material is nonstick and will reduce the amount of burnt matter that will stick to the sides when you’ve overcooked your meal.
If you’re planning to cook thick hunks of meat, then the unique construction of this broiling pan is more than suited to the task.
- This broiler can both bake and grill, which is perfect if you’re more health-conscious when it comes to cooking.
- The versatility of the product is second-to-none, you can guarantee that your food will be cooked to the best standards, preserving all the nutrients as well as sealing in that delicious flavor.
- This pan is roughly big enough for medium-sized cooking, you can easily cook for around 5 to 7 guests with it.
- The materials of this broiling pan will ensure that it will last for many years to come. Ideally, you don’t want to be buying more than one broiling pan a year.
- This might not be the easiest unit to cook.
- Some users have complained that this unit really struggles with larger chunks of meat.
Our final broiling pan is certainly not one that skimps on quality, with a stainless steel body and a perforated top to siphon off the grease, you can be sure of a healthily cooked meal every single time.
You’ll also need far less oil on the pan, which is another reason why health-fanatics will want to pick this pan over any other - introducing the Norpro 274 Stainless Broil/Roast Pan Set.
The perforated top of this broiling pan will drain off a lot of the excess grease that you’ll get coming out, which makes for a far less calorific meal.
You can easily prepare items such as fish, chicken and shellfish, the nonstick elements mean that you won’t have any food matter sticking to the surface which can eventually ruin the item’s functionality.
This pan can easily be placed in the dishwasher, which will dramatically reduce your cleaning time.
The last thing you'll want after grilling your meal for up to an hour is another 15 minutes of washing dishes and pans - with the Norpro, all you have to do is pop it in the dishwasher and voila, you’ll have a clean pan ready for your next cooking session.
- This broiling pan is perfectly designed for healthy eating - the perforated top will ensure that your meat won’t be simmering in a lake of its own fat which will, in turn, make a very healthy meal for you.
- This pan is also built to reduce both your cooking and cleaning time - with stainless steel construction that will prevent sticking food matter and other waste.
- This pan is a nonstick one, so you can cut down on the overall wear and tear, avoiding having to chisel off your food with sharp cutlery, which could damage the functionality of your pan.
- This pan has a generous cooking surface, ensuring that you can grill for a party of 5 - 7 people.
- Some users have complained that this unit does not have enough cooking space for large platters of meat.
Best Broiler Pans Buying Guide
Broiling pans are very unique items, so before buying them, you might want to think about what level of grilling you’ll be doing, as well as whether you’ll be using it to bake also.
There are lots of different food types you can grill on a broiling pan, so whether it’s meat, fish or vegetables, you’ll ideally want something that can encapsulate all of it.
However, there are some basic features that every broiling pan should have to give you the most out of each meal you’re preparing. Here is a list of just a few of them:
What Is The Construction Of Your Broiling Pan?
When we talk about the construction of the broiling pan, we mean the properties of the materials used as well as the product’s strength and it’s overall design. The material of your broiling pan should allow for even transference and distribution of heat.
Your broiling pan should also contain no harmful chemicals which could pollute your food. It should have some non-stick properties to prevent the accumulation of food matter that could damage the functionality of your pan over time.
A lot of the pans that we’ve listed above are made from carbon steel, which has excellent heat retention properties as well as being nonstick. Porcelain and aluminum constructions are very handy for their non stick properties too.
How Versatile Is Your Broiling Pan?
By this we mean the number of food items you can prepare with your broiling pan. From chicken to pork chops to vegetables or maybe all of the above, you’ll want a pan that can cope with whatever food you have to throw at it.
Some broiler pans that you can get are only really suitable for preparing thicker slices of meat, whereas others have construction that can accommodate all different consistencies of food.
If you are thinking of only using your broiler pans to prep meat, then you’ll want to find one that is specifically designed for that purpose.
The higher quality broiling pans will come at a higher price, although we do recommend that you spend more on a pan, as this will result in a better product.
How Easy Is It To Clean And Maintain Your Broiling Pan?
Cleaning a pan after using it to cook is often a very laborious task, especially after you’ve been working hard to prepare a large meal over a few hours.
Cleaning is not just a matter of appearances either, it is the only way that you’ll be able to keep your pan hygienic from meal to meal. Having a broiling pan that is free of bacteria will be very important.
You will probably want to find a broiling pan that is dishwasher safe, so it can be cleaned quickly and thoroughly.
However, after multiple dishwashes, you can expect your broiling pan to become more beat up and less efficient, so we would recommend that you wash your broiling pan by hand after every use.
What Is The Size Of Your Broiling Pan?
The size of your pan will be one of the most important aspects, as this will certainly dictate how much food you can prepare and for how many guests. You will also want a broiling pan that will fit in the oven that you’ll be using.
We recommend that you measure the dimensions of your oven first before purchasing your broiling pan. Ideally, you should have at least an inch of space around every surface of your pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Put A Broiler Pan In The Dishwasher?
Yes, a lot of the broiler pans that we’ve listed above are dishwasher safe, with a nonstick surface you can be sure that all excess food matter will be quickly blitzed from the surface.
However, we would always recommend that you wash your broiling pan by hand to avoid removing some of the coating that covers a lot of the more high-end broiling pans.
What Can You Use Instead Of A Broiler Pan?
If you do not have a broiler pan to hand, you can use stainless steel or a cast iron baking tray to roast your vegetables, using aluminum foil to make sure that your meats and veggies do not stick to the top of the tin.
You can also use a roasting pan to both grill and bake things like seafood, chicken and asparagus.
Can You Bake With A Broiling Pan?
Yes, however, you will need a strip of baking parchment to stop your breaded goods from sticking to the topside of your pan.
You can also use a skillet to bid your food throughout the cooking time.
Can You Cook Bacon On A Broiler Pan?
Yes, you can cook bacon on a broiling pan, however, you will need to use aluminum foil to wrap each strip before you place it in the oven.
Make sure that the shelf in your oven is somewhere near the middle. If you place your bacon too low or too high, you certainly run the risk of burning it.
Once you have broiled the bacon for 5 minutes, you can remove the pan and flip the meat so that it is broiled on the other side for around 2 minutes.