Cast iron cookware is pretty old-fashioned, however, there’s a reason why it’s still popular, even today. Cast iron cookware, if well cared for, can last a lifetime.
Food is also less likely to stick to the surface, and it’s easy to clean. It also has amazing thermal density and tends to have fewer hot spots, so you get a more even heat distribution, making it ideal for slow cooking or searing meat.
One of the most popular brands for cast iron cookware is Tramontina. Tramontina is a Brazilian brand that has been around for the best part of the century, and they now sell their products in over 120 countries. Their brand is based on promoting an innovative spirit with a tradition of quality.
Today we’re going to be taking a look at their cast iron cookware, and seeing whether or not it lives up to the high standards the brand has set for itself.
Let’s take a look at the best-selling Tramontina cast iron cookware on the market…
The cast iron covered braiser is perfect for slow cooking and braising meat.
It has excellent heat retention which allows your food to cook more evenly, and the self-basting condensation ridges on the lid collect and direct vapors onto the food, which produces moist, juicy dishes.
The solid cast construction is extremely durable and oven-safe, while the integrated handles provide added support when lifting the braiser in and out of the oven.
The exterior of the braiser is also impressive: it has a vibrant, porcelain enamel finish which looks great as a serving option at big family gatherings.
The heavy-gauge cast-iron cooking surface is coated with off-white, smooth, and easy-to-clean PFOA- and PTFE-free porcelain enamel so you can rest assured that your family isn’t consuming toxic chemicals.
The pot is hand-wash only, but is compatible with all cooktops and is oven-safe to 450 F, it’s offered under a lifetime warranty, and comes in a range of different sizes.
- Excellent heat retention
- self-basting condensation ridges
- Durable, solid construction
- Integral handles
- Porcelain enamel finish
- Easy-to-clean PFOA- and PTFE-free cooking surface
- Oven-safe up to 450 F and compatible with all cooktops
- Lifetime warranty
- Hand wash only
If you cook a lot of casseroles and stews, this cast iron covered round dutch oven will be the perfect addition to your kitchen.
Available in a range of sizes and colors, this dutch oven is ideal for one-pot meals, braising pot roast, slow-cooked stews, and so much more.
Like all of Tramontina’s cast iron cookware, it offers superb heat retention and even cooking, and the self-basting condensation ridges on the lid uniformly collect and direct vapors onto food for flavor-filled meats, soups, stews, bread, and cobblers.
The pot’s cooking surface is coated with an off-white, smooth, and easy-to-clean, PFOA- and PTFE-free porcelain-enamel, and its integral side handles allow you to lift the filled pot with ease.
The cast stainless steel knob is oven-safe and can withstand temperatures up to 450 F.
- Enameled finish offers sophisticated kitchen-to-table serving
- Ideal for traditional slow simmering
- Superb heat retention and distribution
- Easy to clean, PFOA- and PTFE-free
- The solid cast construction is extremely durable and oven-safe
- Self-basting condensation ridges on the lid provide more flavorsome meals
- Oven-safe and compatible with gas, electric, ceramic glass, and induction cooktops
- Can be heated up to 450°F / 232°C
- Hand wash only
Tramontina’s cast iron skillet distributes heat slowly and evenly to tenderize meats, poultry, and vegetables.
It has a matte black porcelain enamel interior which not only maintains that classic skillet look, but this surface is easy to clean and doesn’t show up stains easily as a white surface will.
This cast-iron skillet has two convenient pouring lips that help to drain leftover oils and liquid from the pan without spillage.
It also features integrated handles for added support and is compatible with gas, electric, ceramic glass, and induction cooktops.
Like the rest of Tramontina’s cast iron range, this skillet features a durable porcelain enamel exterior that is striking, easy to clean, and long-lasting.
- Matte black porcelain enamel interior
- Distributes heat slowly and evenly
- Two convenient pouring lips
- Integral handles
- Durable porcelain enamel exterior
- Compatible with all heating surfaces
- Oven safe up to 450F/232C.
- Hand wash only
Tramontina's 2.5 Qt Enameled Cast Iron Covered Saucepan is perfect for simmering hearty sauces that are super flavorsome and aromatic thanks to the pan's self-basting lid.
Like all of the Tramontina cast iron range, this saucepan provides excellent heat retention and even cooking, and the durable porcelain-enameled cast iron finish is easy to clean.
The cast stainless steel knob is extremely durable and oven-safe up to 450 F, and the pan is compatible with gas, electric and ceramic glass cooktops.
This pan can also be pre-chilled in the refrigerator to keep food such as pasta or salad cool during serving.
- Superior heat retention and distribution
- Durable porcelain-enameled cast iron finish
- Cast stainless steel knob is extremely durable and oven-safe
- Self-basting condensation ridges on lid
- Oven-safe up to 450°F / 232°C
- Compatible with gas, electric, and ceramic glass cooktops
- Hand wash only
What We Like About the Tramontina Cast Iron Range
Superior Heat Retention and Distribution
The cast iron construction of this cookware distributes heat slowly and evenly meaning your food is cooked to perfection every time.
Durable Porcelain Enamel Exterior
Tramontina cookware is available in a range of beautiful colors, and the enameled cast iron finishes are striking, easy to clean, and long-lasting.
Smooth, Porcelain Enamel Interior
Most pieces in the line feature a smooth, off-white porcelain enamel interior that provides easy clean-up.
This is safe and healthy for regular use, too, as, unlike other nonstick cookware, it’s PFOA- and PTFE-free so you can rest assured that you and your family aren’t being exposed to nasty toxins.
Self-Basting Condensation Ridges on Lid
We love this feature, as the condensation ridges uniformly collect and direct vapors onto food, producing more flavorsome and moist dishes.
Can Be Used on Multiple Stovetops
The Tramontina cast iron range is highly versatile, with much of the line being compatible with gas, electric, ceramic glass, and induction cooktops. These pots and pans are also oven safe up to 450 F.
Cast iron is renowned for being highly durable, and if cared for properly Tramontina cast iron cookware can last a lifetime. They’re also backed up by a lifetime warranty.
What We Dislike About the Tramontina Cast Iron Range
As you might have guessed, this range isn’t dishwasher safe, so it requires hand washing.
It’s also important that you care for your Tramontina cookware to prolong its lifespan and durability.
How to care for your Tramontina cast iron cookware
- Hand-wash only, and use warm soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Tramontina recommends seasoning the vessel rim and lid rim where the cast iron is exposed. You can do this by lightly rubbing cooking oil onto the surface and then heating the cookware in the oven for one hour at 350°F / 176°C. Allow the cookware to cool before using.
- Use silicone, nylon, bamboo, or wood utensils to avoid scratching the surface.
- Do not dry cook, always add a liquid, butter, or oil to the bottom of the cookware before heating.
- Cook on the low-to-medium heat setting, even when frying and searing. The use of high heat can permanently discolor and damage the cookware.
- Keep cookware on the burner only for the necessary cooking time.
- The cookware is oven-safe at temperatures up to 450°F / 232°C. Even though integral handles and the lid knob are oven-safe, they will get hot in the oven so use protective mitts when handling hot cookware.
- Avoid sudden temperature changes, for example immersing hot cookware in cold water, and allow cookware to cool before washing.
- Use only nylon or soft abrasive pads or brushes to remove stubborn residues when cleaning.
- Be careful when stacking or nesting your cookware, as you could scratch or chip the exterior and interior.
- Never store your cookware when it is still damp.
The Tramontina cast iron range is classic, durable, and striking. This cookware provides even heat retention and distribution, allowing you to achieve perfect cooking results every time.
The self-basting condensation ridges on the lid infuse your dishes with added moisture and flavor, and the smooth, porcelain enamel interior is PFOA- and PTFE-free and provides easy clean up after every use.
While the range is oven safe and can be used on pretty much all cooktops, cast iron can’t be cleaned in the dishwasher, so you need to hand wash this cookware - which is a minor drawback.
Sure, these pots and pans are a bit of an investment, but they’ll make a big difference to your dishes, and will make cooking less of a chore, and more of an adventure.